While lice have a high ick factor, the bugs themselves are fairly harmless. They don’t carry diseases. They just really gross most people out.
We know having head lice can be very stressful for Moms & Dads, but it can be stressful for the kids too! They actually seem to take it a lot better than Mom really, but having to sit through a nit picking process can be tough.
Here are 5 things to keep the kids entertained during a nit picking:
(These aren’t for the little ones – little ones are quick to check with their usually fine, short hair and they seem to entertain themselves!)
1) A portable DVD is really a no brainer. It keeps them busy and still for the 30 to 60 minutes we need and wa-la
2) Any hand held portable gaming device, we supply a DX (children who don’t own DX’s are mesmerized the entire time)
3) Pipe cleaners. For the kids who has to move his or her hands these are a life saver. You can mold them into anything you want. You can make jewelry, chains, robots etc.
4) We love the question game. It’s super simple. The asker quick fires simple questions to the kids.
Would you rather be a mouse or an elephant?
What is your is favorite fruit?
Would you rather be a fairy or a princess (don’t say this to the boys – they get mad)?
Bubble Gum or Berry toothpaste?
Top 3 ice cream sundae toppings?
Before they know it they are all finished siting still and can go play!
5) I Spy. It’s a classic. Start off the game by picking an object in the room and saying “I Spy with my little eye something…blue” and then everyone takes turns guessing what is spied. The winner of the round chooses the next object.
It’s best if you incorporate some help to get some of the games rolling. Nit picking is a tedious process and it takes some concentration. So if you are the nit picker you’ll need help to play 4 & 5.
We bring a treasure box that the kids can pick from when they are done (if they are good – of course every child gets to pick – we think they are all good!) and they really look forward to it! We see Mom’s & Dad’s spoil them while they are going through this tedious process, they get candy they don’t usually get to eat or soda they don’t normally get to drink, some get games on their wish list and the list goes on…it’s endearing and if you need help we want to be the gift to Mom & Dad. Call Let’s Be PALS if you’re in the Virginia Beach area and find you need help with head lice treatments – we want to spoil you!
Remember Summer & Fall is Lice Season